The Desert

The Desert

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

One year old observations

I haven't had an inspiration as to a topic that I would like to blog about.  I am too tired at night to sit down and type away and too busy during the day taking care of children and cleaning the kitchen.  I sweep the floor in my kitchen about 35 times a day and do dishes about 70 times a day.  I had all these great plans when I thought of having a daycare in my home, as to what I would do with the kids, how to be creative and teach them all sorts of brilliant things, so that when they became a Nobel Peace Prize winner, they would credit me with giving them a head start in life.  But then I got all one year old kids and remembered that Obama won the Peace Prize last - for doing nothing.  So basically, the children arrive, they eat, we go out to play, they eat again, they sleep, then eat again, then we go out to pick up the older kids from preschool and we eat again and then we go outside to play again.  One year olds do nothing but eat and sleep and play outside.  The one time I tried to get them to color, they kept eating the crayons, so I completely ruled out painting after that.  I figure that the parents want their kids to come home healthy, so I now do what is in their children's ability at this time.  One year olds barely even play with toys.  They pick it up, look at it, taste it and then throw it on the ground.  I forgot about this.  Until now.  I was so confused as to what kind of toys I should get the girls when they were one, because they never really seemed interested in anything.  They really weren't.  They liked to go outside.  The world is a huge toy to them.  They like to see things, people, animals, swings, sand.  They don't give a rats ass about educational, Baby Einstein, Baby Freud crap.  Give them dirt to eat any day.  Then they are happy as clams. 

Anyway, dirt has protein.  I think.

1 comment:

Charley Warady said...

And eating dirt has been suggested to me in various contexts throughout the years