The Desert

The Desert

Sunday, October 24, 2010

A funeral

Last Thursday night, a great tragedy occurred. 

I came home after taking Chaya to ballet and went to the kitchen, where David was making food for the children.  I set my cell phone down on the counter.  When I came back to get get it, I realized that there had been water on the counter.  I don't remember what David was cooking, the details are hazy in my mind.  I wiped it off, but it had turned itself off.  I opened up the battery case and wiped the water away.  Still, no sign of life.  I took my phone upstairs and plugged it into the charger, thinking I could revive it. No sign of life.  I felt that if my phone just had a night of rest, then, perhaps then, it would have a fighting chance.  The next morning, I woke up and turned on my phone.  Oh joy, oh happiness, it worked!  I was so happy!!!  Until I realized that I couldn't make or receive calls.  It said "No Network".  I tried everything to bring it back to it's full power.  But nothing, no amount of CPR worked.  So today, I took it to the cellphone company, where my beloved cellphone was admitted to cellphone ER, and after an hour and a half, Dr. Phonedreamy pronounced it beyond repair.  There was no chance of survival as it had suffered from damage due to corrosion. 

I drowned my cellphone in less than a millimeter of water. 

Fortunately, I was able to receive a new cellphone and the financial damage isn't quite as extensive as I was afraid it would be, as I had cellphone life insurance.  It's not quite as complete as the one that I had to bury tonight, but I am sure that I will love this new phone, even though I may not love it AS much as I loved my old phone, but perhaps, in a different way.

I am not really sure why i loved the phone so much.  I have never been partial to a phone, let alone a cellphone before.  I only even got a cellphone for the first time in Israel last year.  And Israel is a cell phone country.  Most people have one, if not two phones at the same time.  Everywhere you go, when you are asked for your phone number, they mean your cell phone number.  And if you say that you don't have one, they are shocked.  The conversation will generally look something like this:

Service person: What is your pelephone (cell) number?

Me: I don't have one.

Service person: stares at me with mouth open as they try to digest this information.

After a long pause...No pelephone?  At all?

Me:  No, but I have a home number.

Service person:  What about your husband?  Does he have one? 

Israeli's just don't understand how you live without a cell phone.  When I lived in Ashdod, it was very simple.  I didn't have any friends.  No friends means no phone calls, so it was completely pointless to pay for a phone that no one was going to phone me on.  Then I moved to Tekoa.  After I got through the initial fear of doing the hitchiking thing, I realized that it would probably be a useful thing to own in the event that I unintentionally got into trouble.  So I got a phone.  And since I now have a few friends in Tekoa and actually leave the house everyday at least once, if not more, they can reach me wherever I am and whenever they want. 

AND, I have become proficient in text messaging.  I have a certain friend who lives in another city in Israel and when I have some odd thoughts, I text them to her so that she can have a comedy break in her day.  I won't give examples of those messages, as they shall remain private and are probably only funny to the two of us (gotta love in jokes...). 

The other reason that I loved my cell phone, was because when I was buying it and we were checking for available numbers, the girl asked me what my home phone number was.  I told her and she did a check and almost had a heart attack when she found that I could have my home number as a cell phone number.  She told me she had never successfully been able to do that!  So I feel special.  Like me and this phone were meant to be.  We were besherte. (Besherte = soul mates)

And although I have the new one, that is EXACTLY the same as the old one, I know that there is a difference.  You may not, but I do.

Bye bye old cellphone.  We had a good life together.  May you rest in peace.

6 comments:

ghickox-pard said...

I just wonder who will sit Shiva for MY next disaster with my cell phone!

Amanda said...

You should convert. Then YOU can!!! I am on day one of shiva for my phone. My poor poor phone.

Anonymous said...

The idea that a person can be reached at any time night or day and anywhere by use of a cellphone or text messagingis beyond my rather old-age ken. I don't want to be reched; neither do I wish to be part of facebook and make new "friends" whom I probably don't like and who would probably not like me either were they to really get to know me. No, there are far too many people and too many lines of communication. Communication is definitely overrated as are emotions. that's what I'd tell clients who got heavily into their emotions when seeing me while I practiced as a psychologist. Yeah, emotions are overrated and we give far too much significance to them. Amazing how much success I had as a practicing psychologist with that set of principles. But then, I'm going beyond your cellphone experience. Your blog could serve as an excellent funeral oration, or at least discussion topic, however.

Amanda said...

Dad, I think your comment says tons about your self esteem. You don't feel likeable. That's my psychological evauluation. You should do some work around that. But for those of us who have friends and feel liked, a cellphone is a perfect way not to miss out on all those important phone calls. Anyway, when you come to Israel, I have a cellphone for you. You will need it, at least for safety, as you hitchhike to Jerusalem and back.

On another note, it's so sweet how my parents are pretty much the only ones who comment on my blog.

How could I not feel loved, with parents like these???

Anonymous said...

Amanda hi,would it shock you to know that I like your Dad?
We have been in contact for the past 6 months or so via the internet & I even think he likes me !!
Great blog you have here.

Anonymous said...

Oppss, the last blog is mine, sorry I forgeot to add my name.