The Desert

The Desert

Sunday, November 28, 2010

My Brain no longer functions. I need some Gingko Biloba.

I made a huge mistake today.  But let me start at the beginning.

This morning, my husband set off, fairly early in the morning, to fetch my father at the airport.  The airport is about an hour or so drive from here, depending on traffic.  He had gone early this AM to meet with a friend of his who was actually arriving today from South Africa.  They met briefly and then my husband settled down to wait for my father, who was due to arrive at 11:15 am.  At about 12:30, I phoned my husband, to ask if my father had come out yet. 

"Nope, not yet" was the answer.

At 1 pm, my husband called me back and asked, "Are you sure he got on the plane?"

I answered indignantly "OF COURSE HE DID!!!  If he didn't, he would have called."

We hung up the phone.  5 minutes later, I called back.  "Isn't there someone you can ask, what is going on?" 

Apparently, the only way you can find out, is to call the airport.  Which is stupid, since my husband was actually AT THE AIRPORT.  Why should he have had to CALL THE AIRPORT.  But...this is Israel...

So, I quickly looked up the number on the internet and with my mind full of thoughts, like "Oh my G-d, for some reason, they have pulled my father to the side and are now searching him.  And I know my Dad.  After a long journey like this one, he will be overtired and grumpy and probably not very nice to the authorities, which might make it worse."  I had thoughts of having to bail him out of jail.  My next thought was that perhaps his Israeli passport wasn't up to date and they were giving him a hard time because of that. 

I got through to someone at the airport who assured me that all passengers from the flight I had quoted had left the baggage area and made it through customs and immigration.  Then she said "Are you sure he is coming today?"

Well...the NERVE!!!  Like I don't know how to read an itinerary...

"OF COURSE HE IS COMING TODAY.  I HAVE THE ITINERARY IN FRONT OF ME AND IT SAYS NOVEMBER 28, 2010.  THAT IS TODAY, AM I CORRECT???"  I said with a voice slightly raised, like a good Israeli!!! 

"Well, you can call the Interior Ministry at the airport and see if there has been a security or immigration issue."

By this time, I had to go and pick up my daughter from preschool, so I hung up the phone, furious with this idiot of a woman who apparently has no idea who I am.

But her suggestion that I had the wrong day left a nagging feeling inside my head.  What if she was right?

I got home and checked the itinerary.  This is what it looks like:

EDMONTON/INTL TORONTO AIR CANADA 106 V 28 NOV 10 800A 135P OK
ARRIVES TERMINAL -1
NONSTOP FOOD TO PURCHASE FLYING TIME- 3:35
EQUIPMENT-E90
FREQUENT FLYER -AC 111239513 SEAT-16D

TORONTO TEL AVIV AIR CANADA 84 V 28 NOV 10 520P 1115A OKDEPARTS TERMINAL -1
ARRIVES TERMINAL -3
NONSTOP BREAKFAST-MEAL ARRIVE-29 NOV FLYING TIME-10:55
EQUIPMENT-BOEING 767-300

Now check out the first line of the second paragraph.  That's the only part I read.  Because the only part that was important to me was when he was arriving.  It says 28 Nov 10 520 P 1115A.  Which means arrival is at 11:15 am.  I didn't bother to read the whole thing, which would have saved my husband a lot of trouble.  And money for that matter.  There is absolutely NO WAY that anyone can leave the Prairies in Canada at 8 am Canadian time and be in Israel at 11:15 our time ON THE SAME DAY!!!! 

Sheepishly, I called my husband, told him my mistake and gave him my permission to come home. 

NOW!  Here's the amazing part.  Even though he has to do this all over tomorrow morning, he came home, totally not even furious with me.  Then, he even drove me and the girls to Efrat, some 20 minutes away, for pizza and then grocery shopping.  Without a cross word or complaint.

I think my husband is a Tzaddik.  Or, for you non Hebrew speakers - a Saint. 

Perhaps tomorrow, my Father will actually be here.  Who knows?  Maybe he's not coming till Thursday!

3 comments:

Charley Warady said...

Let me tell you something about guys. We put things like this away for the next time we hear you begin a sentence with "Why you stupid idiot...how could you..." and then BAM..out comes the airport story. Believe me..he just got himself a "get out of jail free" card.

Amanda said...

Ah crap. You're right. And I gave it to him on a silver platter. Dammit! That's it. I am erasing this post and pretending it never happened. So when he uses this, I will just say "WHAT??? Stop it with your delusional, self serving thoughts and take the freakin garbage out!"

Birdi said...

Amanda hi,
The exact same awful thing happened to me. My son was returning to Israel from New York.
His flight left New York on Sunday28th,Nov. at midnight.Like at idiot I went to the airport to fetch him on Sunday 28th,Nov. at 5pm & sheepishly waited until 7.15pm when I decided to look at his itinery in my purse, (which he gave me before he left)I could'nt believe my eyes
as I read that he was due to arrive here on MONDAY 29th, Nov. at 6pm.There I was thinking all sorts of crazy worried thoughts; my son had been kidnapped,my son misssed his flight, my son had been stopped by customs etc, etc.
BTW my precious son is over 25 years old !!
So I know exactly how you feel.
Enjoy your Dad's visit & send him my dash please.
BIRDI