The Desert

The Desert

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Kid Update

Well, I think I am over the shock of my actions. It's been a crazy couple of weeks, months, years, whatever.
As if things couldn't go more wrong, Emil had somehow contracted lice, I have no idea where or how, as he isn't in school or camp and the only place I can think that it might have happened was at his cousins in Haifa, but they didn't seem to be itching their heads when they came here to visit. So I don't really know how it happened but it did, so David shaved his head and I bought lice shampoo as I had a sneaking suspicion that perhaps I had it too. So I spent the last Friday before shabbat shampooing and combing through my hair. I have now done three treatments as I keep feeling itchy. I will do another one tomorrow and that should be it. I think it is gone now, unless I think about it...I haven't had lice since I was six.
Then I was terrified that the baby has it but I can't tell the difference between the flakes from her cradle cap and lice eggs. I keep looking for lice but haven't found any yet. Baruch Hashem.
Chaya is getting super funny now. She has figured out that she has a voice and isn't afraid to use it so she has now taken to yelling and screaming. It is pretty entertaining. And she can laugh pretty well now. It cracks me up. She also seems to have forgotten how to turn from her tummy to her back but now she turns from her back to her tummy and then gets stuck. Then she gets really mad and starts to scream. She sure has a temper. And she has found her toes and gets upset when she can't stick them into her mouth. I think with all her frustration she is going to push herself to do things and be quick. I think she is pretty funny. She adores Emil. She watches him wherever he goes and just waits for him to make her smile. Sometimes she smiles when she sees him in anticipation of what he is going to do to make her laugh. It is adorable. Seriously.
Emil has made a leap from baby to taking the big boy thing really seriously. I think perhaps his two weeks with his cousins made him feel really special because he could be on vacation by himself. Now he goes to the park in front of our house by himself and takes the elevator and knows the way. He is really proud of this accomplishment and although I am still a little uncomfortable with it, I let him continue because I see how good it has been for his self esteem and confidence. He feels really responsible and grown up because of this. I am proud of him. Now he wants to do EVERYTHING by himself, get his own cheerios and drinks. The other day I was trying to nap with Chaya and I heard him rooting around amongst the dishes in the kitchen and I came out and he was about to pour himself shabbat wine, which is only grape juice, but we keep it especially for shabbat. I stopped him in time. But it was cute nonetheless. He really has grown up and will be starting grade one in September. He turns six in three weeks and I am still trying to figure out how to have a party for him on a small budget.
So that is the news of the kids.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello again!
So it is not just me who think it is so scaring to let my child out on her own, although, I`m getting used to it. And we are not talking far away, she is aluod to go over to her little girlfriends house at the end of our street, appr 150 meters. It`s å dead-end, så there`s almost no traffic, but I`m still watching as she is going over...A mother can be quite over-protective I guess...still she is only 4, so I think I`m entitled to be:)

But we live in a country (Norway) with low crime-rate, and in a good neighbourhood so there shouldn`t be so much to fear, but you are never really sure, are you. Just think of the Madeleine-case, I assume it is big in Israel too? Personally I can not imagine leaving my children alone in a hotelroom or an apartement anywhere, even if I`m just a few meters away! But that is me.

How are the conditions for you now that you are at home with your child. Here we get 80% salary for one year after you give birth, all paid by the state, I don`t know if you have similar arrangements where you are...Maybe we are extremely privileged.

WHow old is your boy Emil? My nephew is called Emil- cute name.

It would be nice if you commented on my comment:)

Amanda said...

Hej veninde fra Norvege! Det er dejligt at du skriver til mig! Jer snakker lidt dansk, fordi jeg boede i Danmark. Det er 14 ars siden! Kan du laese danske?
OK. That is enough in danish. I keep getting it mixed up with Hebrew and have lost so much of my danish!
I just saw an Oprah show on motherhood in Norway. I love Scandinavia! No, you are never sure with children what will happen to them. I own't let Emil cross the street by himself. Here the drivers are too crazy and don't watch where they are going!
I didn't work before I gave birth, as I had just immigrated here not long before I got pregnant. I don't know how they do the mat leave. I don't think it is as good here as it is in Norway. Yes, we have heard about the Madeleine case via CNN. It is so scary. Do you only have one child? What is her name?
Yes, Emil will turn 6 on Friday. He is my stepson, but we have full custody of him and he doesn't know his birth mother. My husband and she separated when Emil was quite young, so I am the only mother he knows and he has been my son now for 2 and a half years. He is a great kid. And a great big brother!
Thank you for your comments. I enjoy reading them.

Anonymous said...

Hey! Du skriver godt dansk:) Jeg forstod det alt sammen. Quite funny that you have lived i Danemark too. I too have been there:) You must have travelled a lot in your young life:) Where did you move from when you moved to Israel? Are you jewish yourself? I cannot imagine how hard it must be to read about all the different meanings in the world about how Israel treat the palestinians. In Norway the main-opinion is that "the wall" built by the israeli shoul be torn down immediately. It reminds too much about the wall built in Berlin just after WW2 to split the city into a german part and the part which the allied forces(England, France and the US) controlled. How do you feel about these things? It must be very emotional discussions when it is brought up, since you are living in the society, we just read about it... When I was in Israel,in 1997 on a schooltrip, we could go places where they had not been able to go for years. We had a busdriver who were muslim, therefor we could visit places like Betlehem and Hebron(is the spelling correct?) It was just before the "intifada" (do you understand what I`m talking about?) started. And since then my impression is that it has been very dangerous for the israeli and the palestinians, in different ways offcourse. The problem with such conflicts which last for so long, is that it looses the news interest, so here in Norway we don`t get news about the situation very often, usually it is when a child is killed or something like that.

The Oprah show you wrote about was sent here in Norway in spring, and I watched it because the woman who talked to Oprah is a great footballplayer`s wife:) And he grew up almost where I come from in Norway. But it was quite interesting to see. I remember she said she never let her children eat peanut-butter:) I don`t think any american can imagine life without it--I`m just kidding:o)

I can tell you a little bit about me:
I`m 29 (for one more month!), married, two children: a girl Eva 4years old and a boy Ludvik nearly 2years old. I am a student this year, and will, if things turn out the way I want to, start working as a teacher next fall.

I enjoy reading what you write too. I hope my english writing is understandable...I guess the words aren`t always placed where they should be, but you get the meaning I hope!

So long!!